Archive for the ‘Phone Phreaking’ Category
Almost complete. WARCARRIER for Android Tablets.
This is the main screen at startup, including the menu options.
Click on “catchMeNG! in the settings bar at the top right and you can input a string to troll for. This includes Bluetooth devices, BSSIDs, ESSIDs, etc.
You can also choose “Plot Waypoint” to plot a new way point onto the Google Map:
If you long-press on a any field (as the “Help” dialog shows from the Settings menu) You can find more information on the specific data that is presented.
And as of 1.1 Beta, you can plot and scan for Bluetooth devices:
This will make my life so much easier as I only have to write this Java code to run on one specific hardware type. Anything that goes wring is the SDKs fault, or the manufacturer for not using standard or compliant hardware (e.g. for radios).
Time to catch up on some R&R
Since I ditched Sprint I have a Samsung Galaxy SII with Android 4.2.x on it and I decided to test the off-line navigation application NavFree USA. The Sonic has a card slot for parking garage cards in the dash, but it looks cheesy when it has cards in it, so I though of mounting my old Phone as a GPS device.
First, i measured the max width of the slot which was about 3 cards in height. I used a few fake credit cards that were sent to my in junk mail and taped them together sn gave them a bend in the end about an inch down.
Then I secured the taped up cards to the back of the phone with more tape. I used duct tape so that it wouldn’t fall off. Now it fits into the slot without easily falling out. Because its almost flush against the dash, it hides the taped back and makes the phone look like it’s floating.
I will test the NavFree USA Free Navigation application and report how well it works!
This is not a how-to, it’s just how I did it.
Recently, our rabbit Penelope decided to slice my xbox controller in half with her little teeth. I spliced it almost immediately so I can continue playing Metro 2033 and just used electrical tape instead of solder. A few days ago I bought a shiny new Nexus 7 from Google to replace the horrible Kindle Fire HD 8.9″ that I had to return after have two bad screens. The Kindle market for applications is very immature and none of the “made for Kindle” applications you spend loads of your hard earned money on can be ported to any other Android device. I figured “made for Kindle” meant that the application was remade for a higher resolution screen. Guess not. I mean, why would Java code be portable when the Walmart of the internet can profit from it? But I digress. The Nexus 7 is great. It is powered with a Tegra 3 by NVIDIA and is powerful enough to be considered a gaming device. unfortunately, the on screen keyboard makes for a smudgy screen and is clunky. I love using the touch screen for simple games, but for Games such as Call of Duty Zombies or Shadow Gun, I would much prefer an actual controller. After a friend of mine informed me about the On-The-Go adapter, I decided to do some research on the cable and make my own. What is an On-The-Go cable?
USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated USB OTG, is a specification that allows USB devices such as digital audio players or mobile phones to act as a host, allowing other USB devices like a USB flash drive, mouse, or keyboard to be attached to them. Unlike conventional USB systems, USB OTG systems can drop the hosting role and act as normal USB devices when attached to another host.
How this works is simple; one pin is shorted in the cable to ground. That’s right, short-to-ground. Also, the Android kernel you are using needs to have host mode enabled for this to work. You may want to Google your device to see if so before cutting up your USB cables. In a USB cable, black is ground, so i figured why not undo the black tape and see if I can make one. I first mangled a USB cable as you see in the picture above to get to the pin I needed to short. I used a large slicing knife from my kitchen and pushed down on it at an angle while it was pointed down at the table. On the flat side of the Micro USB cable, with the cable pointed upwards, its the pin on the right side.
This is “pin 4″ as labeled in the smallest font ever on the tiny board inside of the USB cable you see above. I soldered a small piece of wire to that pin after carefully tinning the tip of the soldering iron with the smallest pointed tip I could find.
In the picture above, I simply “spliced” (with tape) into the same wire, just higher up closer to the controller. I ended up just doing this permanently but for now I was testing. If you plug the XBOX controller in with the Android device is not in standby and don’t see the controller light up, then the pin is not sorted correctly and not in “host mode.”
I loaded up ShadowGun THD and it recognized the controller instantly.
Tested working Games/Emulators for this hack
If you have a Tegra Device – Like the Nexus 7, there is a list of controller capable games on the NVIDIA website
FPse Playstation Emulator Requires Configuration
SHADOWGUN Requires Configuration
AndroGens Genesis Emulator Requires Configuration
VGBA Game Boy Advance Emulator Requires Configuration
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
MAME4Droid/MAME4All Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator Requires Configuration
Sleepy Jack – Barrel-roll is “RB”
Riptide GP Requires Configuration
Call of DUTY Zombies
Anything from $quare Enix
Eternity Warriors II
I’ve added a new page for the book: http://weaknetlabs.com/book/ and you can now order a copy for $13.37 + $4 shipping if you’d like to have it signed and get a free sticker. If not, I will post the link on Amazon this week for purchase.